Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill
The Congregation of the Sisters of
Charity of Seton Hill is an apostolic community of women religious,
baptized in Christ, and vowed to continue the mission of His Church.
For more than 140 years, the Sisters have played a vital role in
the lives of people in Western Pennsylvania. The community's mission
to serve is evidenced by a history of ministries providing educational,
health, pastoral, and social service care to those in need.
The Sisters trace their origin to the first American congregation
of women religious, founded by Saint Elizabeth Seton in 1809. In
1870, Sister Aloysia Lowe and three sisters were sent to western
Pennsylvania from Cincinnati and began their work, founding and
staffing schools. They established their foundation at Seton Hill
in Greensburg in 1882. There they also established a school for
boys and an academy for girls that grew first into Seton Hill College
and which has continued to grow today as Seton
In 1941, the Sisters purchased the property that today is the home
of the Seton Center in the Brookline section of Pittsburgh. Throughout
in Brookline, during our growth in Overbrook and
Greensburg, and looking forward to the years ahead, the people of
Seton Center have been and are pleased to carry on the values
of the Sisters of Charity.
Further information on the history of the Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill